move to Australia

Studying in Australia

Student visa (Subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).
You can apply for the following types of study on this visa:
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.
You may be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course. This is known as course packaging.

Student Guardian class 590

If you are planning to come to Australia to provide care to a student under 18 years, you can apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590). to apply for this visa you must meet the following requirements:
  • be a parent or person who has custody of the student, or a relative who is 21 years or older and has been nominated in writing by a parent or someone who has custody of the student
  • not bring family members younger than 6 years of age, except under certain circumstances
  • be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student unless you are applying for this visa with the support of the government your home country.
  • Other requirements such as health, character, financial, biometric and intention will be required

contact us

Training and Research Visa
(Subclass 402)

​​​​This visa allows you to
  • participate part in structured workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise (Occupational Trainee stream)
  • participate in a professional development training program in Australia after being invited to do so Professional Development stream
  • observe or participate in an Australian research project after being invited to do so (Research stream).

You might be able to get this visa if you are one of the following:
  • an occupational trainee (Occupational Trainee stream)
  • a professional, manager or government official (Professional Development stream)
  • a professional academic (Research stream)

You must meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.​

Temporary Graduate Visa 
(Subclass 485)

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution and wish to work in Australia.
It lets you stay in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.​​

You might be eligible to apply for this visa if you:
  • are younger than 50 years of age
  • are in Australia
  • hold an eligible visa
  • meet the Australian study requirement
  • meet the English language requirement
  • have recently graduated with either an eligible qualification or with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (SOL).